Enjoy this as a plant-based meal or add your favourite proteins
WHAT'S IN YOUR MEAL KIT?
Your meal kit will include fresh produce and specially ground spices for you to cook. As part of our efforts to be more sustainable recipes are available online for you to use them time and time again.
Serves 2 - 4
For the coconut curry
1. For the plantain, cut off about 1 cm from the tips, make an incision lengthways into the skinned and pull apart. Cut into 2 - 3 cm chunks and set aside for later.
2. Peel and roughly chop the onion and garlic cloves, stem and deseed the pepper, cut in half and then stem the tomatoes from the vines and roughly chop. Blend all the prepared ingredients including the chilli if using into a smooth purée.
2. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a wide saucepan with a lid, over a medium heat and once shimmering, pour in the purée. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. Cover with the lid closed slightly ajar as the purée will spatter.
3. Once thickened, stir in 3 tsp of your African Smoky Spice Blend and the fresh thyme, stir well and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Now add the chopped plantains, the red kidney beans, 125 ml of coconut cream, about half of the pack provided, 200 ml of your preferred stock and season with 1/2 tsp of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring up to a boil and then simmer steadily for 15 minutes, covered over a medium heat.
3. After 15 minutes, remove the cover and taste for seasoning. Add a little more salt if needed and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, until the plantain is softened and the sauce is sumptuous and thickened.
4. Serve with your favourite herbs scattered, like coriander or parsley. Use your leftover coconut cream I coconut rice, your favourite curries or in baking.
Spice Roasted Plantain
1. Preheat the oven to 180c fan/200c and prepare a roasting tray or dish. Cut off about an 1 cm from both ends of the plantain, make an incision into the plantain skin lengthways, pull the skin apart. Cut the plantain into half lengthways and then cut into into 3 cm pieces.
Thank you for cooking this meal. I love seeing you enjoy these recipes & with your unique twists. Follow my socials and tag me to share your delicious creations. Send me your questions too. @leratofoods #leratofoods
Sign up to my newsletter for recipes, food club announcements and member treats.